Larsen & Toubro Limited is the biggest legacy of two Danish Engineers, who built a world-class organization that is professionally managed and a leader in India's engineering and construction industry. It was the business of cement that brought the young Mr.Henning Holck-Larsen and Mr.S.K. Toubro into India. They arrived on Indian shores as representatives of the Danish engineering firm F L Smidth & Co in connection with the merger of cement companies that later grouped into the Associated Cement Companies.
Together, Mr. Holck-Larsen and Mr. Toubro, founded the partnership firm of L&T in 1938, which was converted into a limited company on February 7, 1946. Today, this has metamorphosed into one of India's biggest success stories. The company has grown from humble origins to a large conglomerate spanning engineering and construction. Engineering Construction and Contracts (ECC) Division (now L&T Construction) was conceived as Engineering Construction Corporation Limited in April 1944 and was incorporated as wholly owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro Limited. L&T's founders Mr. Holck - Larsen and Mr. Toubro laid the foundation for L&T Construction. It has today emerged as India's leading construction organization.