For a fast growing and evolving industry like the construction industry, the need for skilled labor is paramount and as leader, L&T Construction is playing a key role in creating skilled labor through its Construction Skills Training Institutes (CSTIs) that are spread across the country.
L&T began to promote Construction Vocational Training (CVT) in India by establishing a Construction Skills Training Institute (CSTI) in late 1995 at Chennai. For more than a decade, CSTI has been developing skilled workforce through structured training. Such structured training enables both new entrants and less experienced workers in the industry, progressively improve their knowledge and competencies in the respective trades. Construction skill standards are formulated for different trades after carefully analyzing the knowledge and the skill expected for each level of competency. In addition, different trade tests have been specified to assess the knowledge and skill level attained.
The Construction Skills Training Institute (CSTI) has separate conducive campuses at Chennai, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Delhi and Cuttack for Practical and Class Room Training.
- To train the construction workforce to meet the challenges and demand for world class construction skills in terms of safety, quality of workmanship and time.
- To identify the training needs of the construction workforce and set standards to monitor their occupational competencies and technical skills deployed in the industry.
- To disseminate knowledge and appropriate skill practices through recognized systems of training, testing and certification to validate competency levels.
- To facilitate training by setting up modular training schools with well-defined infrastructure and curriculum.
- To serve the social objective of the organization by channelizing the potential and strength of rural youth in India, for producing a trained construction workforce capable of delivering world class standards.